Sighişoara is a small city in the Transylvania region of Romania, with a history dating back to the 1100s. Back then, the Hungarian king was begging Saxons to move to this part of the world in order to help defend his borders. German craftsmen and artisans took him up on it, and what resulted today is a fairy-tale-like fortified city in the heart of Romania.
1. The clock tower
In every fortification system there is one fortress that dominates the others: the master-tower. The Clock Tower of Sighişoara is the main entry point to the citadel, opposite guarded by Taylor’s Tower. With its 64 meters of height, the tower is visible from almost every corner of the city. Its purpose was to defend the main gate of the citadel and also served as the town hall until 1556. Now it’s considered one of the most expressive clock towers in the whole Transylvania.
2. The church on the hill
The Church on the Hill (Biserica din Deal) is an architecturally significant church located in Sighişoara.This church is the most important monument of religious architecture in Sighisoara and is one of the great churches of Transylvania, being the third largest. Located at an altitude of 429 meters, on the Hilltop School, the church dominates by its massiveness the entire city and it is visible from a great distance almost from all directions.
3. The Church of the Dominican Monastery
The Monastery Church or the Church of the Dominican Monastery (Romanian: Biserica Mănăstirii Dominicane), is a Gothic church formerly part of a medieval Dominican monastery in Sighișoara. The church was erected in 1289, and incorporates half of a Dominican monastery which was demolished in 1888. The monastery was one of a network planned by Paulus Hungarus (Paul the Hungarian) throughout the Kingdom of Hungary to act as a bulwark against heresy. Saxon nobleman Leonard Barlabassy gave the church an endowment.